Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas thoughts

Christmas and the end of the year is a great time to reflect on the year past and to plan ahead for the coming year. I love Thanksgiving – good food, family, friends and no pressure to ‘give’, but Christmas might be my favorite holiday: the great smells of cookies, candles and the tree help make everything warm and cozy. Then there are all the feel good events we all attend: the charity fundraisers, family and friends lunches, dinners and parties.

But when did ‘Merry Christmas’ become politically incorrect? It is strange to me that Christians I know well will tell me ‘Happy Holidays’ or that there is this expectation that I should not say ‘Merry Christmas’ to a non-Christian but preferably just a ‘Happy Holidays’ – and that’s what we should put on our Christmas cards as well to our Jewish and Muslim friends. I sure believe in God, but do I need to know which religion people are practicing and should that influence me on addressing them one way or another? And would I be offended if someone told me ‘Happy Hanukkah? I would be honored to be embraced by them in their beliefs and sure don’t expect anybody to be offended if I wish them something good based on what I believe in.

Come on people have some common sense!
Merry Christmas to all!



1 comment:

  1. Just had to comment - what a GREAT post! I couldn't agree with you more. Very well said! I hope a lot of people read this.

    Mele Kalikimaka and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou to you and your family Det!

    ReplyDelete